China on way to become a powerful nation: Daily
Beijing: Chinese history proves that the road to great power status is "not just a course of growth, but also a path of survival", a state-run daily said Wednesday in an article titled "China takes firm steps toward powerful nation".
The article appeared in the People`s Daily on a day when the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China concluded here.
"Chinese history in modern times fully proves that the road to great power status is not just a course of growth, but also a path of survival," said the daily.
"...Chinese people from all ethnic groups have worked together to turn a poor and backward old China into a prosperous and powerful new China under the leadership of the Communist Party of China. The great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation now enjoys a bright outlook," it added.
It noted that the world`s attention was focused on the 18th National Congress in China.
The daily referred to Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith who said that as China`s economic strength increases, it has every right to modernize its armed forces.
"The rise of a great power has never been accompanied only by flowers and applause. China has won such a favourable international environment through hard efforts. Over the past 30 odd years since the reform and opening-up, China has walked to the center of the international stage in a steady manner, and its `weight` and international influence have also increased steadily
"...The more powerful China is, the more modest it becomes."
The article stressed that a "firm will" is essential on the road to great power status.
"China will continue to safeguard national sovereignty, security, and interests, and never succumb to any outside pressure along the path of peaceful rise. It adopts a clear stance and strong measures on major issues. It was, is, and will always be this way, otherwise peaceful development would be distorted, and it would deviate from the right direction on its way to great power status," it assured.
The daily went on to say that open-mindedness is also essential on the road to great power status.
"The construction of a harmonious world requires the courage to admit pluralism, diversity, and differences as well as the wisdom to seek common ground, broaden consensus, reduce disputes and conflict, and constantly increase harmonious factors in the world...A brighter future for the entire human civilization particularly requires open-mindedness and perseverance," it noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened