China opposes military intervention in South China
Beijing: China has indisputable sovereign rights over the South China Sea islands and their adjacent waters, and the country opposes any military intervention in this area, a spokesperson for China`s Defence Ministry said Tuesday.
According to rules, a regular combat-readiness patrol system has been established in sea waters under China`s jurisdiction, ministry spokesperson Geng Yansheng said at a press conference.
Geng said the system was established to maintain the country`s territorial sovereignty and safeguard its maritime rights, and it is not targeting any other country or specific goals, reported Xinhua.
"The Chinese Navy is justified in protecting the country`s interests, and it is groundless to equate such a justified action with tough foreign policy," he said.
Geng also said the establishment of the Sansha garrison in the South China Sea is responsible for defence mobilisation, militia reserves, the relationship between the garrison and local government as well as the city guard, support for the city`s disaster rescue and relief work, and direct militia and reserve troops in the city of Sansha.
Geng said the establishment of the city of Sansha is a readjustment by the Chinese government to existing administrative bodies, which is an issue within China`s sovereignty and unrelated to other countries.
The disputes over the South China Sea mainly revolve around the sovereignty over some islands and part of the sea delimitation in the area, Geng said.
"China will continue to seek appropriate solutions through bilateral negotiations and consultations with the parties directly involved in the concerned disputes," Geng said.
China is also willing to cooperate with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in all fields, including the defense security relationship, in order to boost regional peace, stability and prosperity, Geng added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference