China opposes military intervention in South China
Beijing: China has indisputable sovereign rights over the South China Sea islands and their adjacent waters, and the country opposes any military intervention in this area, a spokesperson for China`s Defence Ministry said Tuesday.
According to rules, a regular combat-readiness patrol system has been established in sea waters under China`s jurisdiction, ministry spokesperson Geng Yansheng said at a press conference.
Geng said the system was established to maintain the country`s territorial sovereignty and safeguard its maritime rights, and it is not targeting any other country or specific goals, reported Xinhua.
"The Chinese Navy is justified in protecting the country`s interests, and it is groundless to equate such a justified action with tough foreign policy," he said.
Geng also said the establishment of the Sansha garrison in the South China Sea is responsible for defence mobilisation, militia reserves, the relationship between the garrison and local government as well as the city guard, support for the city`s disaster rescue and relief work, and direct militia and reserve troops in the city of Sansha.
Geng said the establishment of the city of Sansha is a readjustment by the Chinese government to existing administrative bodies, which is an issue within China`s sovereignty and unrelated to other countries.
The disputes over the South China Sea mainly revolve around the sovereignty over some islands and part of the sea delimitation in the area, Geng said.
"China will continue to seek appropriate solutions through bilateral negotiations and consultations with the parties directly involved in the concerned disputes," Geng said.
China is also willing to cooperate with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in all fields, including the defense security relationship, in order to boost regional peace, stability and prosperity, Geng added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof