China opposes military provocations on Korean peninsula: Wen
Beijing: China opposes "any provocative
military acts" on the Korean peninsula, Premier Wen Jiabao has
said, with tensions high after North Korea`s shelling of the
"China is firmly committed to maintaining the peace
and stability of the Korean peninsula and opposes any
provocative military acts," Wen said yesterday during a visit
to Moscow, according to a statement issued by the Chinese
Foreign Ministry today.
Wen also called for an early resumption of six-nation
talks on dismantling North Korea`s nuclear weapons programmes,
in comments made to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev during a
Wen`s comments are the first public statement by
China`s top leadership on the escalating tensions on the
Korean peninsula after North Korea shelled a South Korean
island on Tuesday, killing at least four people.
China has come under growing pressure to rein in North
Korea, its neighbour and close ally, after the erratic
Pyongyang regime`s latest act.
It was not clear from the statement whether Wen was
referring directly to the North Korean shelling or to planned
US-South Korean military exercises.
Following the incident, the United States and South
Korea announced they would launch a four-day joint naval show
of force beginning on Sunday that will include a US aircraft
carrier in a bid to deter the North.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected