China opposes US-Taiwan relations
Beijing: China on Thursday said it was opposed to official relations between the US and Taiwan, after an American official visited the island nation off the eastern coast of China.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said China`s position was consistent and clear for US-Taiwan relations, Xinhua reported.
Hong made the remarks in response to a report that Dawn L McCall, the coordinator for International Information Programs of the US State Department, had visited Taiwan recently.
The spokesman said China urges the US to adhere to the One-China policy.
"The US side should address issues related to Taiwan appropriately and stop any form of official contacts with Taiwan, so as to avoid damaging the peaceful development of cross-Strait relations and Sino-US relations," Hong said.
According to BBC, Taiwan has been independent since 1950, but China has claimed sovereignty over Taiwan since the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949, when the Communists under Mao Zedong swept to power.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know