China orders `harsh` crackdown on religious extrem
Beijing: China has ordered "harsh" crackdown
on "religious extremists", especially those infiltrating from
across the border following a spate of deadly attacks in the
strategic Xinjiang province blamed on militants trained in
Zhang Chunxian, secretary of Xinjiang regional committee
of the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) of far western
China`s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, "has ordered a harsh
crackdown on religious extremists in the latest clampdown on
outbursts of violence", the government-run Xinhua news agency
His "pledge" to crackdown on militants at a regional
government meeting comes in the wake of bloody attacks in
Kashghar city close to Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) that
claimed 22 lives in China`s northwest province on August 1.
The top Communist party leader underlined the need for a
"strike-hard policy in the crackdown against terrorists... to
resolutely curb the continued occurrences of violent terrorist
Zhang said managing of religious affairs should follow
the central government`s policy to "protect the legitimate,
ban the illegal, fight infiltration, and crack down on
The reference to "infiltration" appeared significant in
the background of China, for the first time, blaming Uygur
"militants" trained in Pakistan for the deadly violence in
Even though today`s reference to infiltration did not
make any direct reference to Pakistan, it apparently referred
to the attacks from across the border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars