China orphanage fire: 10 children shifted to govt custody
Beijing: Ten children, who survived a devastating fire accident at a private orphanage in north China`s Henan province, have been shifted to local government custody.
Six children and an adult were killed in the fire yesterday that engulfed the home in Lankao county.
Two children are in the care of the child welfare agency of Kaifeng while the other eight have been given shelter at a county rescue centre, bureau official Li Meijiao said.
"Authorities are looking for other options to take care of the children, as the rescue station was designed as a shelter for the homeless, mainly adults and lacks facilities and services to take care of children," Li was quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency today.
The children were being taken care of by a street vendor, Yuan Lihai, believed to have been operating an unregistered orphanage out of her home, officials of civil affairs bureau of Lankao county said.
One child is in intensive care at a Kaifeng hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Sunny Leone in trouble after singing national anthem at Pro Kabaddi League match - Here's why
- Another ISIS suspect arrested from Maharashtra's Thane district
- Oops! Shah Rukh Khan, Rohit Shetty friends no more?
- NASA's NEEMO 21 research mission begins, aquanauts splash down!
- Congress leader Digvijay Singh taken aback after seeing his name in Below Poverty Line list