China, Pak to construct dam in occupied area
Beijing: Pakistan and China have inked an
MoU on construction of a hydro-power station at Bunji in
Northern Areas, a move that is expected to draw ire from India
which maintains that Islamabad cannot undertake any project in
the territory under its illegal occupation.
The MoU was part of over six Memoranda of Understanding
signed during the ongoing visit of Pakistan President Asif Ali
Zardari to China.
Pakistan`s Presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said
that the centrepiece of Zardari`s visit had been signing of
the MoUs for cooperation in education, fisheries, agriculture,
dams and investment.
He said the most important of them was the construction
of a hydro-power station at Bunji in Northern Areas on `Build,
Operate and Transfer` (BOT) basis, which means that all the
investment will be made by Chinese entrepreneurs, Pakistan`s
official APP news agency reported.
India has been maintaining that the Northern Areas have
been illegally occupied by Pakistan.
The dam is estimated to cost between six to seven billion
dollars and will have a capacity to generate 7,000 megawatts
Babar also said the Pakistan President has invited
Chinese companies to bid for construction of over a dozen
small and medium-sized dams in all the four provinces of
Pakistan. Out of these dams, five will be in Balochistan, four
in Sindh and two each in NWFP and Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India