China paper praises no vote on UN Syria resolution
Beijing: China says it was courageous in voting against a UN General Assembly resolution condemning human rights violations in Syria.
The Global Times newspaper, published by the ruling Communist Party, said in an editorial on Saturday that the response was an indication of China`s rising influence on global affairs.
The UN General Assembly voted overwhelmingly on Thursday in favour of the nonbinding resolution backing an Arab League plan calling for Syrian President Bashar Assad to step down and strongly condemning human rights violations by his regime.
Russia and China, who both vetoed a similar resolution in the Security Council, voted against the measure.
China, which violently suppressed anti-government protests in 1989, has refused to condemn Syria over the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel