China ‘pivotal to Australia’s interests’: Gillard
Sydney: Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has declared China to be ‘pivotal to her country’s political, strategic and economic interests’.
Gillard arrived on the Chinese resort island of Hainan ahead of trade and security talks, including her first official meeting with new Chinese President Xi Jinping, on Sunday.
The visit comes as North Korea reportedly moved a missile capable of hitting South Korea and Japan, an action that drew condemnation as being provocative.
Gillard said that she would urge Xi, who also heads China`s military, to "use its influence" to bring North Korea back to "trust-building dialogue", the Herald Sun reports.
According to the report, the Australian leader will meet International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde on Saturday, and later address Chinese and Australian business leaders at a lunch where she will hold bilateral meetings with some of the nine other national leaders attending the forum.
On Sunday, she will address the Boao Forum and meet informally and officially with Xi, the report said.
Ministers Bob Carr and Craig Emerson are also expected to be in the meeting, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!