China plans to add more teeth to anti-terror law
Beijing: China is finalising a comprehensive
legislation to curb terrorism as it battles rising militancy
in its restive northwest Xinjiang province, which borders
Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
China`s legislature, the National People`s Congress
(NPC), today began discussion on a bill that aims to freeze
funds and assets of terrorists and their organisations after
their names are published by the public security authorities,
state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The bill came up before the Standing Committee of the
NPC, which opened its bi-monthly session.
China`s legislature began discussion on the anti-terror
draft bill which is expected to pave the way for further
crackdowns on terrorism by defining terrorist acts and
organisations, official media here reported.
China, which deployed large number of security forces in
Xinjiang province experienced periodic attacks by militants
belonging to East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM), targeting
the mainland Han community`s establishment.
Xinjiang, home to Uyghur Muslims of Turkik origin, has
been experiencing ethnic tensions after the 2009 riots during
which about 200 people were killed and hundreds injured.
Xinjiang officials blamed militants camps in Pakistan for
training some of the militants who took part in the July
attacks after which Islamabad stepped up its anti terrorism
cooperation with China.
Besides the anti-terrorism legislation, Chinese lawmakers
will review draft laws and amendments concerning mental
health, military service and clean-production promotion in the
session to run till Saturday.
The draft resolution on government reports on affordable
housing and environmental protection will also be submitted to
The lawmakers will also review reports from the Supreme
People`s Court and the Supreme People`s Procuratorate on
promoting justice in judicial systems during the session.
The bill submitted to the NPC defined terrorist acts as
those which are intended to induce public fear or to coerce
state organs or international organisations by means of
violence, sabotage, threats or other tactics.
These acts cause or aim to cause severe harm to society
by causing casualties, bringing about major economic losses,
damaging public facilities or disturbing social order, Xinhua
Instigating, funding or assisting with other means are
also terrorist acts, according to the draft bill.
Terrorist organisations are defined in the draft bill as
those which are established to conduct terrorist acts, while
terrorists are those who organise, plot and conduct terrorist
acts, and those who are members of terrorist groups, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'