China plays down US report projecting its economic might
Beijing: Playing down a US report stating that it would surpass America to become world`s largest economy by 2020, China on Wednesday said it would focus on peaceful development rather than "scrambling for world dominance".
"China will unswervingly pursue a way of peaceful development. China`s development aims at making greater contributions toward peace and development of mankind, as well as a happy life for its people, instead of overwhelming others or scrambling for world dominance," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.
Hong made the remarks at a regular press briefing while commenting on the report "Global Trends 2030: Alternative Worlds" issued on Monday by the US National Intelligence Council, an analytical arm of the government`s Office of the Director of National Intelligence.
The report said China`s economy is likely to surpass that of the United States a few years before 2030; however, it added that China may not replace the United States on a global level.
"Despite the remarkable achievements made since reform and opening-up, China is still the world`s biggest developing country and has a long way to go in realising socialist modernisation. We have a clear understanding of that," Hong said.
China will continue to focus on economic construction, deepen economic reforms and push strategic economic restructuring forward so as to achieve comprehensive, coordinated and sustainable development, he said.
The spokesman added that the peace, stability and development of the Asia-Pacific region and the world requires the joint efforts and cooperation of all countries.
China has always adhered to an open and inclusive foreign policy and persisted in building good relations with neighbouring countries, Hong said.
China is ready to join hands with other countries to promote peace, stability and prosperity in the region and the world as a whole, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared