China plays down US report projecting its economic might
Beijing: Playing down a US report stating that it would surpass America to become world`s largest economy by 2020, China on Wednesday said it would focus on peaceful development rather than "scrambling for world dominance".
"China will unswervingly pursue a way of peaceful development. China`s development aims at making greater contributions toward peace and development of mankind, as well as a happy life for its people, instead of overwhelming others or scrambling for world dominance," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.
Hong made the remarks at a regular press briefing while commenting on the report "Global Trends 2030: Alternative Worlds" issued on Monday by the US National Intelligence Council, an analytical arm of the government`s Office of the Director of National Intelligence.
The report said China`s economy is likely to surpass that of the United States a few years before 2030; however, it added that China may not replace the United States on a global level.
"Despite the remarkable achievements made since reform and opening-up, China is still the world`s biggest developing country and has a long way to go in realising socialist modernisation. We have a clear understanding of that," Hong said.
China will continue to focus on economic construction, deepen economic reforms and push strategic economic restructuring forward so as to achieve comprehensive, coordinated and sustainable development, he said.
The spokesman added that the peace, stability and development of the Asia-Pacific region and the world requires the joint efforts and cooperation of all countries.
China has always adhered to an open and inclusive foreign policy and persisted in building good relations with neighbouring countries, Hong said.
China is ready to join hands with other countries to promote peace, stability and prosperity in the region and the world as a whole, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie