China police seize 19,000 guns ahead of anniversary: Report
Beijing: Chinese police have confiscated
19,000 guns and 500 tonnes of explosives in a crackdown on
illegal firearms ahead of the nation`s 60th anniversary of
communist rule, state media said on Monday.
Over 5,200 suspects have been arrested in connection with
the crackdown that began in March and will continue up to
China`s October 1 National Day celebration, the official
news agency said.
Police also confiscated 1.47 million detonators, 800,000
bullets and 39,000 imitation guns, the report, citing police
Possession of guns is illegal in China, as is the sale
and manufacture of imitation firearms, it said.
China will celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding
of the People`s Republic of China on October 1, when the
communists came to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt