‘China poses no military threat to any country’
Beijing: Vowing to pursue a defensive military
policy, China Tuesday claimed that it does not seek hegemony and poses no threat to its neighbours and other countries, as it
advocated dialogue to settle regional disputes.
It also hoped to become a growth engine for global
development through its imports which are expected to reach
USD 8 trillion in the next five years.
China will assume more international responsibility as
its comprehensive strength increases, but at the same time
will promote regional cooperation and good-neighbourly
relations, a white paper titled "China`s Peaceful
Development", issued by the country`s Cabinet, said.
China actively enhances friendly cooperation with its
neighbours and works with them to promote a harmonious Asia,
Apparently referring to its border issues with India and
maritime differences with a host of ASEAN nations and Japan,
it called on countries in the region to respect each other,
increase mutual trust and seek common ground while putting
Disputes, including those over territorial claims and
maritime rights and interests, should be settled through
dialogue and friendly talks, it said.
"China does not seek regional hegemony or sphere of
influence, nor does it want to exclude any country from
participating in regional cooperation. China`s prosperity,
development and long-term stability represent an opportunity
rather than a threat to its neighbours," it said.
According to the paper, China plans to import goods worth
an estimated USD eight trillion in next five years, which it
says could create lot of business opportunities to the
countries around the world, making it a growth engine for
The size of China`s domestic market will be one of the
biggest in the world, and the accumulated import volume is
expected to reach USD eight trillion dollars.
"All this will create more business opportunities to
other countries," the paper said.
China`s imports were expected to rise more in the next
five years as it planned to transform its export-oriented
economy to that of the one based on more domestic consumption.
China is committed to pursuing a military policy which is
defensive in nature, said the document, which according to
analysts, was issued by Beijing to allay fears of rapid
modernisation of its army, navy and air force creating an air
of suspicion over its objectives.
"China faces multiple traditional and non-traditional
security challenges and the threat of separatists and
terrorism," which justifies its modernisation of defence
capabilities in order to uphold its security and protect its
peaceful development, it said.
The country has a vast land territory and sea area, with
a borderline of over 22,000 km and a coastline of over 18,000
Justifying its USD 91 billion defence budget, the paper
said China`s defence expenditures were appropriate and
moderate, and were in keeping with the need to safeguard its
"China will not engage in arms race with any other
country, and it does not pose a military threat to any other
country," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’