China proposes four-point plan to end Syrian crisis
Beijing: China on Wednesday proposed a four-point plan to visiting UN-Arab League Joint Special Envoy Lakhdar Brahimi to end the civil war in Syria, appealing to all parties to agree to a ceasefire and begin political transition at an early date.
Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi made the proposals during his talks with Brahimi, who is visiting China for the first time since replacing former UN chief Kofi Annan as the international mediator on Syria.
To facilitate the political settlement of the Syrian issue, China proposed that relevant parties cooperate with Brahimi and implement effective steps toward a phased cease-fire.
"All parties in Syria should appoint empowered interlocutors to formulate through consultations a roadmap of political transition, establish a transitional governing body of broad representation," state-run Xinhua news agency said.
China also proposed that the international community should work with greater urgency and responsibility to fully cooperate with and support Brahimi`s mediation efforts and make real progress in implementing the communique of the Geneva foreign ministers` meeting of the Action Group for Syria and Annan`s six-point plan and relevant Security Council resolutions.
"Relevant parties should take concrete steps to ease the humanitarian crisis in Syria," it said.
The international community should increase humanitarian assistance to the Syrian people and ensure proper resettlement of refugees beyond the Syrian border and timely aid for those in need within Syria, the Xinhua report said.
Both China and Russia have exercised their veto power in the UN Security Council to block resolutions aimed at putting more pressure on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to quit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?