China provides aid for key development projects in Nepal
Kathmandu: Seeking to cement ties with Nepal, China on Tuesday announced grant assistance for three key projects in the country including a proposed police academy.
China will support the projects involving construction of Armed Police Force Academy, upgradation of Kathmandu`s ring road and logistic support to Nepal`s Election Commission for conducting the forthcoming Constituent Assembly elections, it was announced today during the official visit to Nepal by State Councilor Yang Jiechi, China`s top diplomat.
Earlier today, Yang called on Nepal`s Vice President Paramananda Jha, head of the interim election government Khil Raj Regmi, Home Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Madhav Ghimire and other top officials.
During his meeting with Yang, Regmi said, "Nepal is firmly committed to One-China policy and reaffirmed its stand that the territory of Nepal will not be allowed to be used for any activity against China," according to an official statement.
Terming relations with its southern neighbour as "exemplary", Chinese Foreign Ministry yesterday praised Nepal for its crackdown on Tibetan "separatist forces" on its soil.
Regmi also briefed the visiting Chinese leader on the current political situation in Nepal and preparations for the upcoming polls.
Yang welcomed the decision of the government to hold elections.
China has pledged to provide NRs 3.6 billion in assistance for the construction of the police academy in Kathmandu, NRs 150 million for logistic support for the polls in November and NRs 4 billion for road upgradation.
Highlighting the potential of foreign direct investment in Nepal in hydropower development, tourism and agriculture, Regmi invited potential Chinese entrepreneurs to invest in Nepal, sources said.
"This is the handshake over the Himalayas and we want to further expand this partnership with Nepal from day one to day two over indefinite period," Yang said.
Top leaders of major political parties including UCPN-Maoist chairman Prachanda, Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala, CPN-UML chairman Jhala Nath Khanal and other dignitaries were present at the inauguration of the road project.
Yang arrived here yesterday with a 19-member delegation on a two-day visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM