China quake: 35 injured, 64,500 affected
Beijing: A 6.6-magnitude quake jolted China`s Xinjiang Uygur region early Saturday, injuring at least 35 people and affecting over 64,500 others.
The temblor also killed over 2,000 livestock due to collapsed sheds while a large number of houses were toppled, Xinhua reported.
According to the China Earthquake Networks Centre (CENC), the temblor`s epicentre was located in a mountainous area along the border of Hejing and Xinyuan counties.
The quake, which struck at 5.07 am, was followed by several aftershocks of magnitude 3 to 4, said government authorities in Ili Kazak prefecture, located in the west of Xinjiang Uygur region.
Strong tremors were felt widely in the region, shaking many residents out of their beds early morning and causing temporary blackouts.
The quake also triggered landslides and caused cave-ins on several national and regional highways in Xinjiang, bringing traffic to a halt.
The CENC has launched an emergency response following the quake and local authorities have sent work teams and organised rescue efforts in the affected areas.
According to the Ministry of Civil Affairs, losses and damage resulting from the quake were still being assessed and relief efforts were underway on Saturday.
Relief goods, including tents and quilts were dispatched to the quake-hit areas.
The quake-hit region, located about 3,500 metres above the sea level, has been geologically active throughout history, said experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- US Open: Ramkumar Ramanathan falls in first round of qualifiers
- Gems, jewellery exports up about 12% in Apr-Jul FY17
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh