China quake: 35 injured, 64,500 affected
Beijing: A 6.6-magnitude quake jolted China`s Xinjiang Uygur region early Saturday, injuring at least 35 people and affecting over 64,500 others.
The temblor also killed over 2,000 livestock due to collapsed sheds while a large number of houses were toppled, Xinhua reported.
According to the China Earthquake Networks Centre (CENC), the temblor`s epicentre was located in a mountainous area along the border of Hejing and Xinyuan counties.
The quake, which struck at 5.07 am, was followed by several aftershocks of magnitude 3 to 4, said government authorities in Ili Kazak prefecture, located in the west of Xinjiang Uygur region.
Strong tremors were felt widely in the region, shaking many residents out of their beds early morning and causing temporary blackouts.
The quake also triggered landslides and caused cave-ins on several national and regional highways in Xinjiang, bringing traffic to a halt.
The CENC has launched an emergency response following the quake and local authorities have sent work teams and organised rescue efforts in the affected areas.
According to the Ministry of Civil Affairs, losses and damage resulting from the quake were still being assessed and relief efforts were underway on Saturday.
Relief goods, including tents and quilts were dispatched to the quake-hit areas.
The quake-hit region, located about 3,500 metres above the sea level, has been geologically active throughout history, said experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened