China quake: Soldier dies as relief vehicle falls off cliff
Beijing: A military vehicle carrying 17 soldiers to China`s quake-hit Sichuan province plummeted off a cliff Saturday, killing one soldier, military officials said.
At least 71 people were killed and more than 1,000 others injured Saturday when a massive earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale struck Sichuan, Xinhua reported.
The driver of the military vehicle lost control on a winding road in Ya`an around 12.40 p.m..
Witnesses said the driver may have been trying to evade something before hitting the road edge and losing control.
The vehicle fell into a river about 20 metres below the road.
One soldier died, while seven others were injured and have been taken to hospital.
The remaining soldiers are safe and unhurt, according to the Chengdu Military Area Command of the People`s Liberation Army (PLA).
The vehicle and soldiers belong to the PLA Army`s 13th Combined Corps.
After the earthquake, more than 6,000 military rescue personnel were rushed to the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees