China questions US-Philippines drills
Beijing: China has raised concerns about "the real intentions" behind the US-Philippines plan to hold joint military drills near the disputed waters in the South China Sea.
Since the US announced its "return" to the Asia-Pacific region with much fanfare last year and rolled out a new defence strategy on January 05, countries in the region wonder what all this fuss would mean to them, a commentary in the state-run People`s Daily said on Monday.
Describing the US as the world`s sole superpower, it said Washington could "become a destabilising force in the region itself if it puts its power in the wrong places”.
"The US and the Philippines have claimed that their proposed war games are not directed against other countries in the region, but the motive behind the planned joint drills is really dubious," said author Liu Tian.
"As to the issue of the South China Sea, the priority for all parties is to shelve disputes and refrain from taking radical measures to escalate the situation."
The commentary asked the US, "as an outside power, should work with all parties concerned to prevent tensions from getting out of control, rather than support one side or the other”.
"Instead of trying to arm the Philippines and stoking tensions, the US should restrain the activist and provocative moves by its so-called ally.”
"After all, it is in the interests of all parties to maintain peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region, which has been considered as a major engine driving the global economy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city