China questions US-Philippines drills
Beijing: China has raised concerns about "the real intentions" behind the US-Philippines plan to hold joint military drills near the disputed waters in the South China Sea.
Since the US announced its "return" to the Asia-Pacific region with much fanfare last year and rolled out a new defence strategy on January 05, countries in the region wonder what all this fuss would mean to them, a commentary in the state-run People`s Daily said on Monday.
Describing the US as the world`s sole superpower, it said Washington could "become a destabilising force in the region itself if it puts its power in the wrong places”.
"The US and the Philippines have claimed that their proposed war games are not directed against other countries in the region, but the motive behind the planned joint drills is really dubious," said author Liu Tian.
"As to the issue of the South China Sea, the priority for all parties is to shelve disputes and refrain from taking radical measures to escalate the situation."
The commentary asked the US, "as an outside power, should work with all parties concerned to prevent tensions from getting out of control, rather than support one side or the other”.
"Instead of trying to arm the Philippines and stoking tensions, the US should restrain the activist and provocative moves by its so-called ally.”
"After all, it is in the interests of all parties to maintain peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region, which has been considered as a major engine driving the global economy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security