China raises poverty line, boosting official poor
Beijing: China has raised its official poverty line, causing more people to qualify as poor despite its booming economy.
It announced a near doubling of its previous poverty line to about $1 a day on Tuesday. That means 128 million Chinese now qualify as poor, or 100 million more than under the previous amount.
The new poverty line is still below the World Bank`s level of $1.25 a day, but the change brings China closer to international norms after three decades of buoyant growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!