China raises poverty line, boosting official poor
Beijing: China has raised its official poverty line, causing more people to qualify as poor despite its booming economy.
It announced a near doubling of its previous poverty line to about $1 a day on Tuesday. That means 128 million Chinese now qualify as poor, or 100 million more than under the previous amount.
The new poverty line is still below the World Bank`s level of $1.25 a day, but the change brings China closer to international norms after three decades of buoyant growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them