China readies its own peace prize
Beijing: Brushing aside questions over its
political motives, a Chinese group awarded its own "peace
prize" today, just a day before the Nobel Committee was set to
honour jailed China dissident Liu Xiaobo.
The inaugural Confucius Peace Prize was awarded to
former Taiwan vice president Lien Chan at a chaotic press
conference held by a handful of Chinese university professors
who presented themselves as the prize "jury".
Lien`s own office has denied all knowledge of the
award, but that did not stop them presenting it on his behalf
to a pony-tailed young Chinese girl.
"For Peace!" jury member Yang Disheng said as he
handed the glass trophy to the girl, who looked somewhat
The prize comes one day before the Nobel ceremony
honouring Liu, a dissident writer who has called for political
reform in one-party-ruled China and who was announced as peace
laureate in October.
A deeply embarrassed China has responded furiously to
the award, threatening it would harm relations with Norway,
lashing the Nobel committee as "clowns" and pressuring
countries to stay away from the ceremony.
Members of the prize jury denied any link to China`s
government or suggestions their prize was a response to Liu`s
"The more peace prizes we can have in the world, the
better," said Yang, identified by the jury as a professor of
"ideology and culture" at Beijing`s Tsinghua University.
But the press conference soon took on a farcical tone
when members were questioned about aspects of the award, such
as the timing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'