China ready for UN talks on Iran: US
New York: China is ready for "serious" talks at the United Nations on Iran`s nuclear program, the United States said, as it sought support for sanctions against Tehran.
"China has agreed to sit down and begin serious negotiations here in New York," the US Ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, said on CNN television on Wednesday.
Rice said the talks would take place between the six big powers coordinating a response to Iran`s controversial push for what it says is a civilian nuclear capacity, but which Washington says could mask a military program.
Rice said that Washington was pushing for "tough" sanctions against Iran in the UN Security Council, where China has veto power on any resolution.
Beijing has so far consistently opposed sanctions.
"This is progress, but the negotiations have yet to begin in earnest," Rice said.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was also upbeat, saying the P5+1 group -- permanent council members Britain, China, France, Russia, United States, plus Germany -- "continues to be unified”.
"There will be a great deal of further consultation, not only among the P5+1, but with other members of the Security Council and other nations during next weeks," Hillary said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested