China ready to play more active role in world affairs: Premier
Beijing: China appears ready to shed
patriarch Deng Xiaoping`s philosophy of keeping a low profile
approach to foreign policy with Premier Wen Jiabao saying that
Beijing is willing to play greater role in international
"China will shoulder more international
responsibilities as it is the aspiration of the international
community and in China`s own interest, too," Chinese Premier
Wen Jiabao said in a joint media appearance with European
Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso here yesterday.
Wen`s remarks appeared to suggest that Chinese
Communist Party leadership is ready to move away from Deng`s
philosophy of "hiding ambitions and disguising claws", which
means keeping a low profile approach to foreign policy.
"Tao guang yang hui," the Chinese proverb often used
by Deng, regarded as the architect of modern China, to follow
a low key profile not to attract adverse attention.
Wen said China has made remarkable achievement in
reform, but that Chinese leaders remain clear-minded about the
challenges the country faces.
"We are determined to pursue reform and opening up and
peaceful development and are confident in the future of the
country and its people," official Xinhua news agency quoted
him as saying.
China is dedicated to safeguarding the international
nuclear non-proliferation system and the peace and stability
of the Middle East, he said.
China will keep communicating with parties involved in
the Iranian nuclear issue in a responsible and constructive
manner to bring an early resolution to the issue, Wen said.
Wen`s remarks were made ahead of the upcoming US-China
strategic dialogue next month in which top US officials like
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were due to participate.
With over USD two trillion in its forex kitty and
holding over USD 800 billion US debt bonds, China has resisted
attempts by Washington and EU to revalue its currency Yuan
against dollar and back UN sanction against Iran for pursuing
uranium enrichment programme.
Until now Chinese leaders played down the rise of
China and allaying fears that Beijing would not over play its
role as it still continue to be a developing country despite
the massive development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30