China reiterates sovereignty over Diaoyu islands
Beijing: China has reiterated its claim over disputed Diaoyu islands, stating that they are its "inherent territory".
A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday that the Diaoyu island and its affiliated islets were part of China`s inherent territory and had never been part of Liuqiu or Okinawa, reported Xinhua.
The ministry reacted after the People`s Daily, the flagship newspaper of the Communist Party of China (CPC), on Wednesday published an article --"On the Treaty of Shimonoseki and the Diaoyu Islands Issue" -- which discusses Japanese sovereignty over Okinawa island.
On Sunday, Chinese ships had carried out their routine patrolling around the disputed islands that are also claimed by Japan.
The islands are called "Diaoyu" in China but "Senkaku" in Japan. The row over the islands, which are presently controlled by Japan, has left ties between Tokyo and Beijing highly tense.
Japan claims to be occupying the islands since 1895, while China maintains the islands were recognised as Chinese territory as early as 1783.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH