China reiterates support for UN envoy`s Syria mediation
Beijing: China will support impartial mediation by UN-Arab League special envoy Lakhdar Brahimi in order to address the Syrian conflict, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
Spokesman Hong Lei made the remarks at a daily news briefing in response to media reports stating that Russian and US diplomats will discuss the Syrian crisis with Brahimi in Geneva later this week.
“China supports any efforts that will expedite the process of resolving the Syrian conflict politically, as well as supports the impartial mediation of UN- Arab League Special Envoy Brahimi," said the spokesman.
Hong urged all concerned parties to fulfil the consensus reached by the international community, including the Action Group Geneva Communiqué, in order to seek a fair, peaceful and appropriate solution to the Syrian conflict.
The Geneva Communiqué, which was endorsed by the Action Group on Syria on June 30 last year, envisages a Syrian-led transition, including the formation of a transitional government in Syria that will feature representatives of both the government and its opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown