China reiterates support for UN envoy`s Syria mediation
Beijing: China will support impartial mediation by UN-Arab League special envoy Lakhdar Brahimi in order to address the Syrian conflict, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
Spokesman Hong Lei made the remarks at a daily news briefing in response to media reports stating that Russian and US diplomats will discuss the Syrian crisis with Brahimi in Geneva later this week.
“China supports any efforts that will expedite the process of resolving the Syrian conflict politically, as well as supports the impartial mediation of UN- Arab League Special Envoy Brahimi," said the spokesman.
Hong urged all concerned parties to fulfil the consensus reached by the international community, including the Action Group Geneva Communiqué, in order to seek a fair, peaceful and appropriate solution to the Syrian conflict.
The Geneva Communiqué, which was endorsed by the Action Group on Syria on June 30 last year, envisages a Syrian-led transition, including the formation of a transitional government in Syria that will feature representatives of both the government and its opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends