China rejects Japan`s representation on disputed islands
Beijing: China Tuesday rejected the new Japanese government`s representation to stop its ships from patrolling the waters around the disputed islands in the East China Sea and asked Tokyo to stop its own planes and ships from guarding the islands instead.
Asked for his reaction to Japanese government summoning the Chinese Ambassador and handing down a representation to stop patrolling by Chinese surveillance vessels in and around the islands, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman, Hong Lei told media here that Tokyo should stop "illegal activities" in Chinese waters.
China calls the islands as Diaoyu Dai and Japan as Senkakus.
The islands were administered by Japan until last September when China opposed Tokyo`s move to buy them from a private party and resume patrolling the area.
"We do not accept Japan`s representation", Hong said adding China for its part has been asking Tokyo not to send its planes and ships to patrol the areas.
"China asks Japan to stop such illegal activities", he reiterated.
This is the first such representation made by Japan after the new government headed by Shinzo Abe came to power.
According to reports, Japan`s Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs Akitaka Saiki met Chinese Ambassador Cheng Yonghua in Tokyo to lodge a protest after four Chinese government ships were spotted in the area yesterday.
Saiki "strongly demanded that such incidents do not happen again", a Japanese government statement said after the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs