China rejects US criticism of its military
Beijing: China dismissed US accusations that the growth and modernisation of its military poses a threat, saying on Friday that the comments were groundless and irresponsible.
The rejection of the US criticism comes just weeks before China shows off its military muscle with a hardware display expected to be the centrepiece of a grandiose parade through Beijing on October 1 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People`s Republic.
Earlier this week, US National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair released the 2009 National Intelligence Strategy, which raised US concerns about China`s aggressive pursuit of natural resources around the world and its work to modernise its military.
Hu Changming, a spokesman for the Ministry of National Defence, said "the US should respect China`s national defence policy and take measures to correct the wrong comments," according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
Hu called the US comments "totally groundless and irresponsible," according to Xinhua.
Blair said in a speech that US naval carriers and air bases in the Pacific face new threats from China`s modernisation and that China has become "very aggressive" in the cyberworld.
"China shares many interests with the United States, but its increasing natural resource-focused diplomacy and military modernisation are among the factors making it a complex global challenge," the report said.
China, with its People`s Liberation Army of 2.3 million members, has long been tight-lipped about its military strength and capacity, drawing criticism and concern from the US, which has been wary of the Asian giant`s growing power and skyrocketing military spending which reached USD 71 billion this year, though analysts believe the actual figure is much higher.
The spending is second to the US but a fraction of American defence spending. Beijing says its increased defence spending is not a threat to other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya