China releases 9 Vietnamese fishermen
Hanoi: China has freed nine Vietnamese fishermen held for the past one month after they were caught in disputed South China Sea waters, Vietnam`s Minister of Defence Phung Quang Thanh said on Tuesday.
Thanh said the release came "unconditionally" and was an expression of China`s goodwill.
"We appreciated it," Thanh told reporters on the sidelines of inaugural talks by regional defence ministers, where the South China Sea was a key issue.
Vietnam last week called for release of the fishing boat and its crew that were captured while fishing in the Paracels, a South China Sea archipelago occupied by China but claimed by Vietnam.
Vietnam and China are engaged in a long-running dispute over control of the Paracels and a more southerly archipelago, the Spratlys.
Since last year, Vietnam has reported numerous cases of fishing boats and equipment being seized by China.
Taiwan also claims the Paracels and has a claim to the Spratlys, as do ASEAN members the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei.
Territorial disputes in Asia-Pacific waters pose a threat to regional stability, US Defence Secretary Robert Gates warned today at the regional talks, but his Chinese counterpart insisted Beijing`s growing military might is purely defensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali