China releases contrite blogger early: Police
Beijing: A Chinese blogger who made a grovelling apology on state television after being detained for "publishing false stories" has been released from custody, police said Tuesday, citing his "good attitude".
Xiang Nanfu, 62, published stories alleging gross rights abuses on an overseas news portal and was held by police in May as part of a wide-ranging crackdown on "Internet rumours".
Hundreds of Chinese bloggers and journalists have been arrested in recent months as part of a government-backed campaign to assert greater control over social media.
The clampdown, which began last year, appears to be part of a concerted effort by China`s ruling Communist party, which maintains an iron grip on power, to rein in criticism.
Xiang was one of a handful of high profile cases who were paraded on television, where he apologised for "smearing" the ruling Communist Party.
Reports said he was sentenced to nine years in prison for theft.
He has been released early "because of his poor health, and moreover, because of a relatively good attitude in pleading guilty", Beijing police said in a post Tuesday on Sina Weibo, a Chinese version of Twitter.
It was not clear when he was sentenced, or when he was released.
Under regulations announced last September, Chinese Internet users face three years in prison for writing defamatory messages that are re-posted 500 times. Web users can also be jailed if offending posts are viewed more than 5,000 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror