China releases documentary on Tibetan immolations
Beijing: National broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) has released a documentary that it said "discloses the truth" about self-immolations in areas inhabited by Tibetans.
The documentary titled "Facts About Self-Immolation in Tibetan Areas of Ngapa (Aba)" was shown on CCTV-4, an international channel targeting overseas viewers of Chinese language programmes, Xinhua reported.
It said the documentary "discloses the truth" about self-immolations that have occurred in Aba, a Tibetan and Qiang prefecture in southwest Sichuan province.
The documentary contains interviews with the "masterminds" and "victims" of the self-immolations, Xinhua said.
It said monks in Aba were "acting on orders sent from overseas" to convince people to self-immolate. They also sent information about the self-immolations abroad, as they claimed the acts were a form of "protest" against Chinese rule in Tibetan areas.
The documentary also says followers of the Dalai Lama masterminded the self-immolations "in order to split China".
Earlier in December, the People`s Daily said the Dalai Lama and his supporters were doomed to fail in their attempt to attain Tibetan independence by stoking self-immolations.
Since fleeing China in 1959, the Dalai Lama and his followers "have masterminded a series of seriously violent incidents", it said.
"All of them are aimed at `Tibet independence`," the article noted.
"Soon after self-immolations occur, the Dalai clique repeatedly demands `peace talks` to be held between China`s central authorities and the self-declared `Tibetan government-in-exile` for `solving Tibet-related issues`, Xinhua said.
According to the Tibetan government-in-exile in Dharamsala in India`s Himachal Pradesh, a total of 92 self-immolation cases have taken place since 2009. Over 20 cases took place in November this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown