China releases documentary on Tibetan immolations
Beijing: National broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) has released a documentary that it said "discloses the truth" about self-immolations in areas inhabited by Tibetans.
The documentary titled "Facts About Self-Immolation in Tibetan Areas of Ngapa (Aba)" was shown on CCTV-4, an international channel targeting overseas viewers of Chinese language programmes, Xinhua reported.
It said the documentary "discloses the truth" about self-immolations that have occurred in Aba, a Tibetan and Qiang prefecture in southwest Sichuan province.
The documentary contains interviews with the "masterminds" and "victims" of the self-immolations, Xinhua said.
It said monks in Aba were "acting on orders sent from overseas" to convince people to self-immolate. They also sent information about the self-immolations abroad, as they claimed the acts were a form of "protest" against Chinese rule in Tibetan areas.
The documentary also says followers of the Dalai Lama masterminded the self-immolations "in order to split China".
Earlier in December, the People`s Daily said the Dalai Lama and his supporters were doomed to fail in their attempt to attain Tibetan independence by stoking self-immolations.
Since fleeing China in 1959, the Dalai Lama and his followers "have masterminded a series of seriously violent incidents", it said.
"All of them are aimed at `Tibet independence`," the article noted.
"Soon after self-immolations occur, the Dalai clique repeatedly demands `peace talks` to be held between China`s central authorities and the self-declared `Tibetan government-in-exile` for `solving Tibet-related issues`, Xinhua said.
According to the Tibetan government-in-exile in Dharamsala in India`s Himachal Pradesh, a total of 92 self-immolation cases have taken place since 2009. Over 20 cases took place in November this year.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- CTET May 8 exam: CBSE releases admit cards, eligible list for Haryana candidates
- Arvind Kejriwal lauds PM Narendra Modi's Cabinet Minister Suresh Prabhu – Know why
- OMG: Akshay Kumar's bodyguard punches a fan – Details inside
- SHOCKING! Pakistan umpire Aleem Dar's sons involved in major controversy in Scotland - Read full story
- Kerala Assembly Election 2016: Arun Jaitley to release NDA's vision document today