China releases documentary on Tibetan immolations
Beijing: National broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) has released a documentary that it said "discloses the truth" about self-immolations in areas inhabited by Tibetans.
The documentary titled "Facts About Self-Immolation in Tibetan Areas of Ngapa (Aba)" was shown on CCTV-4, an international channel targeting overseas viewers of Chinese language programmes, Xinhua reported.
It said the documentary "discloses the truth" about self-immolations that have occurred in Aba, a Tibetan and Qiang prefecture in southwest Sichuan province.
The documentary contains interviews with the "masterminds" and "victims" of the self-immolations, Xinhua said.
It said monks in Aba were "acting on orders sent from overseas" to convince people to self-immolate. They also sent information about the self-immolations abroad, as they claimed the acts were a form of "protest" against Chinese rule in Tibetan areas.
The documentary also says followers of the Dalai Lama masterminded the self-immolations "in order to split China".
Earlier in December, the People`s Daily said the Dalai Lama and his supporters were doomed to fail in their attempt to attain Tibetan independence by stoking self-immolations.
Since fleeing China in 1959, the Dalai Lama and his followers "have masterminded a series of seriously violent incidents", it said.
"All of them are aimed at `Tibet independence`," the article noted.
"Soon after self-immolations occur, the Dalai clique repeatedly demands `peace talks` to be held between China`s central authorities and the self-declared `Tibetan government-in-exile` for `solving Tibet-related issues`, Xinhua said.
According to the Tibetan government-in-exile in Dharamsala in India`s Himachal Pradesh, a total of 92 self-immolation cases have taken place since 2009. Over 20 cases took place in November this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`