China releases fourth Japanese held for filming military base
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Saturday, October 09, 2010, 15:24
  
Beijing: China on Friday released on bail the last of the four Japanese held for allegedly intruding into a military zone without authorisation, an issue that had led to a diplomatic row.

The State Security Bureau of Shijiazhuang City in northern Hebei Province has instructed Sadamu Takahashi to write a statement of repentance and removed residential surveillance of him, official Xinhua newsagency said.

Sadamu Takahashi has left the place where he was residing under surveillance after going through legal procedures, it said.

The four Japanese were held on charges of intruding into a Chinese military zone and illegally filming military targets last month.

The other three were released on September 30. The four, according to their Japanese construction company were in Japan to dispose of some of the chemical weapons left behind by Japanese army in the Second World War.

Their arrests took place after Japan detained the skipper of a Chinese fishing vessel of off the disputed Diaoyu/Senkaku islands last month which triggered off a diplomatic spate between the two countries.

The three were released after Japan released the skipper and the fourth one was released today.

The four work for a Tokyo-based construction and urban redevelopment company, Fujita Corp., which said they were preparing a bid for a project to dispose of chemical weapons abandoned in China by the Japanese military at the end of World War II.

The two countries were expected to have high level talks soon to repair the damage to the bilateral ties as agreed by Chinese Prime Minister, Wen Jiabao and his Japanese counterpart, Naoto Kan at in informal meeting in Brussels.

PTI


First Published: Saturday, October 09, 2010, 15:24


comments powered by Disqus