China reports at least 29 injured in Yunnan quake
Beijing: At least 29 people were injured and hundreds of buildings damaged in an earthquake in southwestern China`s Yunnan province, reports said on Friday.
Dozens of aftershocks continued to rock the area around Chuxiong prefecture where the quake struck shortly before 1 pm yesterday.
Some registered as high as magnitude 5.0, equalling the strength of the original quake, according to the prefectural government and state media.
Among structures damaged were at least 100 schools, 72 clinics and 1,446 houses. Scores of damaged buildings were being pulled down to guard against collapse.
More than 700 soldiers were dispatched to aid the rescue. Quilts, clothing and thousands of tents were rushed to the area, about 95 kilometres northwest of the provincial capital of Kunming. More than 3,000 people were being provided temporary shelter in tents.
In May 2008, a massive 7.9-magnitude temblor struck Sichuan province just north of Yunnan, leaving 90,000 dead or missing and another five million homeless.
Meanwhile, a magnitude-5.0 quake struck southern Tibet today but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check www.gseb.org for 10th result 2016: GSEB SSC result 2016 declared
- Cassini climbs over Saturn's poles and captures this stunning image - See pic!
- Shocking! Four out of five women are harassed in public places in India, finds survey
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to get intimate in ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ – Here’s how
- Oomph factor! Priyanka Chopra looks smoking hot in THESE magazine covers