China reports first trade deficit in 11 months
Beijing: China reported a large trade deficit in February mainly due to distortion by the Chinese New Year holidays, marking the first deficit since April 2013.
Last month, the trade deficit stood at USD 22.98 billion, compared with a surplus of USD 14.8 billion last February and USD?31.86 billion this January, the General Administration of Customs (GAC) said in a statement today.
Total trade dropped by 4.8 per cent year on year to USD 251.18 billion, with exports falling 18.1 per cent and imports up 10.1 per cent.
In January, foreign trade climbed 10.3 per cent, with exports rising 10.6 per cent and imports up by 10 per cent.
"The Spring Festival factor contributed to large fluctuations in trade volume and the deficit last month," the GAC said.
The Spring Festival, or China`s lunar new year, is the country`s most important traditional festival for family reunions.
Trade with the European Union, China`s largest trade partner, rose 6.3 per cent to 551.99 billion yuan ( USD 90.19 billion) in the first two months, while that with the United States, its second-biggest trade partner, rose 4.8 per cent to USD 499.05 billion yuan.
The dramatic fluctuation in the monthly trade figure has caused some concerns about the health of the trade sector, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
However, GAC spokesman Zheng Yuesheng played down the fluctuation, saying that trade growth will likely get back to normal after the holiday distortion goes away in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days