China reports first trade deficit in 11 months
Beijing: China reported a large trade deficit in February mainly due to distortion by the Chinese New Year holidays, marking the first deficit since April 2013.
Last month, the trade deficit stood at USD 22.98 billion, compared with a surplus of USD 14.8 billion last February and USD?31.86 billion this January, the General Administration of Customs (GAC) said in a statement today.
Total trade dropped by 4.8 per cent year on year to USD 251.18 billion, with exports falling 18.1 per cent and imports up 10.1 per cent.
In January, foreign trade climbed 10.3 per cent, with exports rising 10.6 per cent and imports up by 10 per cent.
"The Spring Festival factor contributed to large fluctuations in trade volume and the deficit last month," the GAC said.
The Spring Festival, or China`s lunar new year, is the country`s most important traditional festival for family reunions.
Trade with the European Union, China`s largest trade partner, rose 6.3 per cent to 551.99 billion yuan ( USD 90.19 billion) in the first two months, while that with the United States, its second-biggest trade partner, rose 4.8 per cent to USD 499.05 billion yuan.
The dramatic fluctuation in the monthly trade figure has caused some concerns about the health of the trade sector, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
However, GAC spokesman Zheng Yuesheng played down the fluctuation, saying that trade growth will likely get back to normal after the holiday distortion goes away in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!