China rescues 178 children in trafficking bust
Beijing: Chinese police arrested 608 suspects and rescued 178 children in a bust of two separate child trafficking networks, authorities said on Wednesday.
The ministry said in a statement posted online that 5,000 police across 10 provinces cooperated for six months on the investigation and moved in to arrest the suspects last week. It said prosecutors were preparing cases against the suspects, suggesting that charges have yet to be filed.
Child trafficking is big problem in China, where traditional preference for male heirs and a restrictive one-child policy has driven a thriving market in baby boys, who fetch a considerably higher price than girls. Girls and women also are abducted and often used as laborers or as brides for unwed sons.
Tens of thousands of children go missing every year, though the exact numbers of victims are difficult to obtain.
The rescued children will be put into orphanages while authorities try to reunite them with their families, it said. It didn`t give the age range of the abducted children or other specifics. It said they were temporarily in the care of female police officers while the Ministry of Civil Affairs was finding temporary places for them in orphanages.
An investigation into a traffic accident in south China`s Sichuan province in May led police to the first ring, which was allegedly selling children abducted or bought in Sichuan to buyers in central China`s Hebei province and elsewhere. The ring had links to at least 26 gangs nationwide, it said.
The second ring was uncovered in August and was based in southeast China`s Fujian province and led by a female suspect identified as Chen Xiumei.
The statement said police have cracked more than 7,000 gangs or rings that sold women or children since a special campaign against human trafficking started in April 2009. It said 18,518 children and 34,813 women have been rescued.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata