China restricting flow of information: US
Washington: China is restricting the flow of information which is inconsistent with the information environment and prerequisites of the 21st century and United States will continue to raise these issues with Beijing, a senior Obama administration official has said.
"We are aware that China has a different position with respect to restricting information. We saw that China was restricting information around particular anniversaries, say, Tiananmen Square last year, for example. We think this was inconsistent with the information environment and prerequisites of the 21st century," Assistant Secretary of
State for Public Affairs PJ Crowley told reporters.
He said that the US would continue to promote the free flow of information, unfettered access to information, the ability to have virtual freedom of association.
"These are all, we believe, fundamental tenets of the environment and that we live in. We will not back away from advocating that this should be something that all countries should promote," Crowley said.
Crowley said, last week US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton put forward a vision for the internet that the US thinks was broadly shared around the world that promotes the free flow of information.
He said that free flow of information was the right that all citizens have under the Declaration of Human Rights.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India