China, Russia reaffirm support for Syria
Damascus: China has repeated its opposition to military intervention in Syria.
Russia is also seeking to halt fresh UN Security Council action after hundreds were killed in Houla massacre.
"China opposes military intervention in Syria and opposes regime change by force," The Telegraph quoted foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin as saying.
Liu added that China urged all parties to implement UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan`s ceasefire proposal in Syria and to seek to end the bloody crisis through negotiations.
Support from Moscow and Beijing came as western nations such as United States, Britain and France expelled Syrian diplomats after the massacre.
France has floated in the idea of armed intervention to protect civilians.
Russia, along with China has vetoed two UN Security Council resolutions that are critical of President Bashar al-Assad`s regime, saying it was ``premature`` for the council to consider new action.
"We believe that a review now by the Security Council of any new measures on the situation would be premature," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said.
More than 13,000 people have been killed, most of them civilians, since the uprising against Assad`s regime erupted in March last year, according to a Britain-based Observatory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH