China, Russia reaffirm support for Syria
Damascus: China has repeated its opposition to military intervention in Syria.
Russia is also seeking to halt fresh UN Security Council action after hundreds were killed in Houla massacre.
"China opposes military intervention in Syria and opposes regime change by force," The Telegraph quoted foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin as saying.
Liu added that China urged all parties to implement UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan`s ceasefire proposal in Syria and to seek to end the bloody crisis through negotiations.
Support from Moscow and Beijing came as western nations such as United States, Britain and France expelled Syrian diplomats after the massacre.
France has floated in the idea of armed intervention to protect civilians.
Russia, along with China has vetoed two UN Security Council resolutions that are critical of President Bashar al-Assad`s regime, saying it was ``premature`` for the council to consider new action.
"We believe that a review now by the Security Council of any new measures on the situation would be premature," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said.
More than 13,000 people have been killed, most of them civilians, since the uprising against Assad`s regime erupted in March last year, according to a Britain-based Observatory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview