China, Russia vetoes UN Syria resolution; India votes in favour
New York: Russia and China on Saturday vetoed
an Arab League-backed resolution at the UNSC that called on
the Syrian President Bashar Assad to step down, while India
along with the US and 12 others backed the move.
France, Britain and Pakistan also voted in favour of the
resolution aimed at putting pressure on Syria to end its
11-month-long crackdown on anti-government protests that has
killed more than 200 people in one of the bloodiest episodes
of the uprising against Assad`s regime.
This is the second time that Russia and China have
carried out their double veto after the first one on October
Voting in favour of the UNSC resolution, India said it
supported the effort of the Arab League for a peaceful
resolution of the 11-month-old Syrian crisis.
"Our support for the Resolution is in accordance with our
support for the efforts by the Arab League for a peaceful
resolution of the crisis through a Syrian-led inclusive
political process," said Hardeep Singh Puri, the Indian
Ambassador to the UN.
Explaining the reasons for India`s position on Syria,
Puri told the powerful 15-member body that New Delhi believes
that the leadership of Syria is a matter for the Syrian people
"It would be necessary for all opposition forces in Syria
to peacefully engage in constructive dialogue with the
authorities. We hope that this will create a new environment
for peace and facilitate a political process," he underlined.
He said this political dialogue should build upon the
"political reforms already announced by the Syrian leadership
with necessary changes so that they find acceptance among all
sections of Syrian society".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!