China-Russia Yellow Sea naval drills begin
Beijing: China and Russia launched joint naval exercises on Sunday that highlight warming ties between their militaries and growing cooperation in international affairs.
Chinese state broadcaster CCTV said the six days of drills feature simulated anti-aircraft, anti-submarine and search-and-rescue operations, including electronic countermeasures and other sensitive technologies.
Retired major general Yin Zhuo said it shows a high degree of trust between the sides.
"It`s an excellent exchange for China to be able to drill jointly in such sensitive areas," Yin told CCTV.
China`s Defence Ministry said China was sending two submarines and 16 ships to take part, including destroyers, escort vessels and hospital ships. The deputy chiefs of the countries` navies oversaw the start of drills in the northeastern Chinese port of Qingdao, the home of China`s northern fleet.
The two militaries hold frequent exchanges, despite recent disputes over Chinese copying of Russian military technology such as Sukhoi jet fighters. China was a key customer for the former Soviet arms industry, but recent technological advances at home have made it far less dependent on Russian weaponry.
Much of that cooperation takes place within the confines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, a grouping of Central Asian states that seeks to check US influence in the region and began holding joint drills in 2005.
Formerly Cold War rivals for leadership of the communist world, China and Russia have since found common ground in countering liberal democratising trends across Asia and Eastern Europe and frequently vote against Western initiatives in the United Nations Security Council.
Most recently, they have united to block any UN actions on Syrian violence that could lead to some form of humanitarian intervention, a prospect both nations abhor.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro