China sacks three for Shanghai metro crash
Shanghai: Shanghai has sacked three metro
employees after a collision between two trains blamed on human
error injured more than 280 people last month.
Two workers involved in the operation of the line where
the accident happened and another from the subway operator
Shanghai Metro Company were dismissed while another nine were
also punished, the official Xinhua news agency said today.
It gave no details of the other penalties.
The September accident fuelled doubts over the safety of
China`s rapidly developing transport network and came after a
high-speed train crash in the eastern city of Wenzhou killed
at least 40 people in July.
The Shanghai Metro Company has said errors by its staff
played a role in the accident though it also blamed equipment
failure, saying a loss of power caused the signalling system
to fail and forced drivers to operate trains manually.
Xinhua quoted the accident investigation team as saying
the crash was caused by human error.
Employees, who were communicating by phone after the
signalling failure, neglected to verify the positions of the
trains and failed to check whether the line was clear, causing
one train to rear-end another, it said.
The metro operator initially placed the blame solely on a
signalling system manufactured by Chinese-French joint venture
CASCO Signal. The company has denied its products caused the
CASCO is a venture between French transport and power
giant Alstom and state-owned China Railway Signal &
Alstom has also denied the venture supplied the signalling
equipment implicated in the Wenzhou crash, as has been
reported in Chinese media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!