China sacks top official after sex tape shots surfaced online
Sydney: Chinese authorities have reportedly sacked a district Communist Party official after images of him having sex with his mistress were leaked online.
Screenshots from the sex video first appeared on Sina Corp``s Weibo site on Tuesday.
According to state-run Xinhua news agency, Lei Zhengfu, a district party chief in the southwestern city of Chongqing, was fired after an investigation by the party``s discipline watchdog confirmed that it was he who appeared in the video.
The agency reported that Lei had told a reporter the video was fake.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the case highlights the influence of China``s fast-growing microblogging community.
It also highlights the ruling Communist Party``s growing sensitivity and responsiveness to public anger against abuse of power, official impunity and corruption.
Net-savvy Chinese people have found a potent weapon for fighting official corruption and abuse of power in microblogs like Weibo, which had over 420 million users at the end of the third quarter this year, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui