China sacks top official after sex tape shots surfaced online
Sydney: Chinese authorities have reportedly sacked a district Communist Party official after images of him having sex with his mistress were leaked online.
Screenshots from the sex video first appeared on Sina Corp``s Weibo site on Tuesday.
According to state-run Xinhua news agency, Lei Zhengfu, a district party chief in the southwestern city of Chongqing, was fired after an investigation by the party``s discipline watchdog confirmed that it was he who appeared in the video.
The agency reported that Lei had told a reporter the video was fake.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the case highlights the influence of China``s fast-growing microblogging community.
It also highlights the ruling Communist Party``s growing sensitivity and responsiveness to public anger against abuse of power, official impunity and corruption.
Net-savvy Chinese people have found a potent weapon for fighting official corruption and abuse of power in microblogs like Weibo, which had over 420 million users at the end of the third quarter this year, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP cuts gap, witnesses massive surge in seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway