China sacks top official after sex tape shots surfaced online
Sydney: Chinese authorities have reportedly sacked a district Communist Party official after images of him having sex with his mistress were leaked online.
Screenshots from the sex video first appeared on Sina Corp``s Weibo site on Tuesday.
According to state-run Xinhua news agency, Lei Zhengfu, a district party chief in the southwestern city of Chongqing, was fired after an investigation by the party``s discipline watchdog confirmed that it was he who appeared in the video.
The agency reported that Lei had told a reporter the video was fake.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the case highlights the influence of China``s fast-growing microblogging community.
It also highlights the ruling Communist Party``s growing sensitivity and responsiveness to public anger against abuse of power, official impunity and corruption.
Net-savvy Chinese people have found a potent weapon for fighting official corruption and abuse of power in microblogs like Weibo, which had over 420 million users at the end of the third quarter this year, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Saffron party will still face defeat in the upcoming assembly elections', BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna Joshi jump
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh