China says carrier met targets in first sea trial
Beijing: China says its first aircraft carrier attained all its set objectives in its initial sea trial last month.
According to Thursday`s official Global Times newspaper, Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun says the refurbished ex-Soviet carrier will continue to undergo testing. He gave no further details.
China says the ship is intended for research and training, pointing to longer-term plans to build up to three additional clones of the carrier in China`s own shipyards.
Beijing`s carrier program is an outgrowth of the country`s burgeoning military expansion, driven largely by bragging rights and national prestige. It could also come into play in furthering China`s claim to Taiwan and disputed territory in the South China Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital