China says carrier met targets in first sea trial
Beijing: China says its first aircraft carrier attained all its set objectives in its initial sea trial last month.
According to Thursday`s official Global Times newspaper, Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun says the refurbished ex-Soviet carrier will continue to undergo testing. He gave no further details.
China says the ship is intended for research and training, pointing to longer-term plans to build up to three additional clones of the carrier in China`s own shipyards.
Beijing`s carrier program is an outgrowth of the country`s burgeoning military expansion, driven largely by bragging rights and national prestige. It could also come into play in furthering China`s claim to Taiwan and disputed territory in the South China Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border