China says carrier met targets in first sea trial
Beijing: China says its first aircraft carrier attained all its set objectives in its initial sea trial last month.
According to Thursday`s official Global Times newspaper, Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun says the refurbished ex-Soviet carrier will continue to undergo testing. He gave no further details.
China says the ship is intended for research and training, pointing to longer-term plans to build up to three additional clones of the carrier in China`s own shipyards.
Beijing`s carrier program is an outgrowth of the country`s burgeoning military expansion, driven largely by bragging rights and national prestige. It could also come into play in furthering China`s claim to Taiwan and disputed territory in the South China Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!