China says carrier met targets in first sea trial
Beijing: China says its first aircraft carrier attained all its set objectives in its initial sea trial last month.
According to Thursday`s official Global Times newspaper, Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun says the refurbished ex-Soviet carrier will continue to undergo testing. He gave no further details.
China says the ship is intended for research and training, pointing to longer-term plans to build up to three additional clones of the carrier in China`s own shipyards.
Beijing`s carrier program is an outgrowth of the country`s burgeoning military expansion, driven largely by bragging rights and national prestige. It could also come into play in furthering China`s claim to Taiwan and disputed territory in the South China Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'