China says carrier met targets in first sea trial
Beijing: China says its first aircraft carrier attained all its set objectives in its initial sea trial last month.
According to Thursday`s official Global Times newspaper, Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun says the refurbished ex-Soviet carrier will continue to undergo testing. He gave no further details.
China says the ship is intended for research and training, pointing to longer-term plans to build up to three additional clones of the carrier in China`s own shipyards.
Beijing`s carrier program is an outgrowth of the country`s burgeoning military expansion, driven largely by bragging rights and national prestige. It could also come into play in furthering China`s claim to Taiwan and disputed territory in the South China Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!