China says its defence development no threat to anyone
New Delhi: Chinese Defence Minister Liang Guanglie said on Tuesday that his country’s defence development is not aimed at challenging or threatening anyone, and added that non-traditional security issues pose grave challenges to regional security.
Speaking at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus (ADAMM-Plus), Liang said China’s defence development aims to ensure its own security and promote international and regional peace and stability.
“China pursues a defence policy that is defensive in nature,” Xinhua quoted him, as saying in the Vietnamese capital.
Liang said the security situation in the Asia-Pacific remains generally stable, but the region is still confronted with many traditional and non-traditional security challenges, like tsunamis, earthquakes, typhoons and floods.
Non-traditional security issues pose grave challenges to regional security, economic growth and people’s livelihood, he said, adding that non-traditional security threats are usually transnational and unpredictable, and require a joint response.
Liang said China supports the ADMM-Plus in focusing on non-traditional security cooperation and giving priority to tackling non-traditional security challenges, which directly threaten the lives and well being of the people in the Asia-Pacific.
The first ADMM-Plus drew officials from 10 ASEAN members -- Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam -- and their eight dialogue partners -- Australia, China, India, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Russia and the United States.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!