China says Japan tarnishing its image
Beijing: China Thursday accused Japan of creating tension and tarnishing its image, and conducting "illegal activities" in China`s territorial waters and airspace.
Japan`s efforts to ratchet up tension runs against efforts to improve bilateral ties, Xinhua quoted foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying as saying.
The comments came in response to Japanese Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera`s "allegation" that China recently used a fire-control radar to lock onto a Japanese fleet in the East China Sea.
The Japanese minister said this amounted to a "threat of force" by China.
"Now it is not a matter of China displaying its strength, but Japanese vessels and planes` continuous illegal activities in China`s territorial waters and airspace," the Chinese official said.
She, however, added that China was verifying and investigating the incident.
"I want to point out that China has not changed its stance of developing relations on the basis of principles enshrined in bilateral political documents," she said.
She reiterated that Beijing wishes to solve problems through talks.
"China hopes Japan can face up to reality and history and make concerted efforts with China," she said.
Stressig that China has always acted to maintain peace, stability and development in the Asia-Pacific region, the spokeswoman called on relevant parties to work with her country for the overall benifit of the region.
Relations between Japan and China have soured since Tokyo said it would "purchase" part of the disputed Diaoyu islands in the East China Sea in 2012. China insists that the islands are part of its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble