China says navy ship hits rocks in disputed waters
Beijing: China`s Defence Ministry says one of its navy`s missile frigates has run aground while conducting patrols in a disputed part of the South China Sea near the Philippines.
A brief statement posted to the ministry`s website Friday said no injuries were reported and a recovery operation was being mounted.
It said the accident occurred around 7 pm Wednesday as the ship was patrolling near Half Moon Shoal.
The area is about 60 nautical miles west of the Philippine province of Palawan in an area claimed by Manila.
Tensions in the area have been heightened following a standoff between Philippines and Chinese government boats at another shoal nearby. China claims almost all of the South China Sea and its island groups as its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt