China says navy ship hits rocks in disputed waters
Beijing: China`s Defence Ministry says one of its navy`s missile frigates has run aground while conducting patrols in a disputed part of the South China Sea near the Philippines.
A brief statement posted to the ministry`s website Friday said no injuries were reported and a recovery operation was being mounted.
It said the accident occurred around 7 pm Wednesday as the ship was patrolling near Half Moon Shoal.
The area is about 60 nautical miles west of the Philippine province of Palawan in an area claimed by Manila.
Tensions in the area have been heightened following a standoff between Philippines and Chinese government boats at another shoal nearby. China claims almost all of the South China Sea and its island groups as its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'