China says navy ship hits rocks in disputed waters
Beijing: China`s Defence Ministry says one of its navy`s missile frigates has run aground while conducting patrols in a disputed part of the South China Sea near the Philippines.
A brief statement posted to the ministry`s website Friday said no injuries were reported and a recovery operation was being mounted.
It said the accident occurred around 7 pm Wednesday as the ship was patrolling near Half Moon Shoal.
The area is about 60 nautical miles west of the Philippine province of Palawan in an area claimed by Manila.
Tensions in the area have been heightened following a standoff between Philippines and Chinese government boats at another shoal nearby. China claims almost all of the South China Sea and its island groups as its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning