China says navy ship hits rocks in disputed waters
Beijing: China`s Defence Ministry says one of its navy`s missile frigates has run aground while conducting patrols in a disputed part of the South China Sea near the Philippines.
A brief statement posted to the ministry`s website Friday said no injuries were reported and a recovery operation was being mounted.
It said the accident occurred around 7 pm Wednesday as the ship was patrolling near Half Moon Shoal.
The area is about 60 nautical miles west of the Philippine province of Palawan in an area claimed by Manila.
Tensions in the area have been heightened following a standoff between Philippines and Chinese government boats at another shoal nearby. China claims almost all of the South China Sea and its island groups as its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!