China says navy ship hits rocks in disputed waters
Beijing: China`s Defence Ministry says one of its navy`s missile frigates has run aground while conducting patrols in a disputed part of the South China Sea near the Philippines.
A brief statement posted to the ministry`s website Friday said no injuries were reported and a recovery operation was being mounted.
It said the accident occurred around 7 pm Wednesday as the ship was patrolling near Half Moon Shoal.
The area is about 60 nautical miles west of the Philippine province of Palawan in an area claimed by Manila.
Tensions in the area have been heightened following a standoff between Philippines and Chinese government boats at another shoal nearby. China claims almost all of the South China Sea and its island groups as its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena way ahead of BJP, leading in 40 seats