China says top cop spent a day in US consulate
Beijing: China says a celebrity cop who is linked to one of country`s rising political stars spent one day in the US consulate in Chengdu this week.
The Foreign Ministry spokesman`s office said late Thursday that Wang entered the consulate on February 06 "and remained there for one day”.
The US State Department has confirmed that former Chongqing police chief Wang Lijun visited the consulate, but did not say he had spent a day there.
There has been widespread speculation that Wang has been seeking asylum.
State media said the incident is being investigated, but did not give any details.
Wang worked closely with Chongqing`s Communist Party boss Bo Xilai, a candidate for one of the top jobs when China`s changes its senior leaders this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’