China says top cop spent a day in US consulate
Beijing: China says a celebrity cop who is linked to one of country`s rising political stars spent one day in the US consulate in Chengdu this week.
The Foreign Ministry spokesman`s office said late Thursday that Wang entered the consulate on February 06 "and remained there for one day”.
The US State Department has confirmed that former Chongqing police chief Wang Lijun visited the consulate, but did not say he had spent a day there.
There has been widespread speculation that Wang has been seeking asylum.
State media said the incident is being investigated, but did not give any details.
Wang worked closely with Chongqing`s Communist Party boss Bo Xilai, a candidate for one of the top jobs when China`s changes its senior leaders this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics