China says top cop spent a day in US consulate
Beijing: China says a celebrity cop who is linked to one of country`s rising political stars spent one day in the US consulate in Chengdu this week.
The Foreign Ministry spokesman`s office said late Thursday that Wang entered the consulate on February 06 "and remained there for one day”.
The US State Department has confirmed that former Chongqing police chief Wang Lijun visited the consulate, but did not say he had spent a day there.
There has been widespread speculation that Wang has been seeking asylum.
State media said the incident is being investigated, but did not give any details.
Wang worked closely with Chongqing`s Communist Party boss Bo Xilai, a candidate for one of the top jobs when China`s changes its senior leaders this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'