China sea power concerns new Japan foreign min
Tokyo: Japan`s new Foreign Minister Koichiro
Gemba on Friday voiced concern over China`s growing naval power
and its activities near disputed islands in the East China
"Its maritime activities are standing out," Gemba said at
his first news conference since being appointed the nation`s
top diplomat in the new cabinet of Prime Minister Yoshihiko
Noda earlier in the day.
"It is important for us to firmly seek progress in
transparency as its naval strength is expanding without
Their territorial row over the islands -- called Senkaku
in Japan and Diaoyu in Chinese -- intensified last month after
Japan protested to Beijing over the entry of Chinese fishery
patrol boats into waters near the islands.
In September last year, Beijing broke off all high-level
contact with Tokyo after Japan detained a Chinese fishing boat
captain whose vessel had collided with Japanese coastguard
patrol ships in the same waters.
Japan eventually released the captain under strong
pressure from China, a move that helped eased the tension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet