China: Serial killer held for murdering 11 males
Beijing: Chinese police have arrested a man believed to be a serial killer targeting mostly young males in southwest China`s Yunnan province and charged him with 11 murders.
A large amount of physical evidence and DNA comparisons show that Zhang Yongming from Nanmen village, Jinning county, killed the 11 males, the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement.
Unofficial reports said Zhang may have committed 17 murders and he targeted mostly young men.
The murders came to light while one case of murder was being investigated. Some local police officials were reported to have been suspended for dereliction of duty.
Following a 20-day-plus investigation launched by the ministry and local police authorities, the 56-year-old suspect was arrested on charges of murder, the statement said.
Zhang was sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve for murder in 1979. He was freed and returned home in 1997 after receiving a number of sentence reductions, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The investigation shows that the alleged serial killer started to attack males who walked alone on the quiet road near his home where he lived alone since 2008.
The statement did not reveal the range of the victims` ages, but said local police authorities have contacted the victims` families.
After the murders, Zhang used various means, including dismemberment, burning and burial, to destroy the evidence, it said.
The Ministry of Public Security directed local officials to punish any police officers found to be guilty of dereliction of duty.
As the murders created panic, a central team of expert investigators was sent to the province to carry out investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations