China: Serial killer held for murdering 11 males
Beijing: Chinese police have arrested a man believed to be a serial killer targeting mostly young males in southwest China`s Yunnan province and charged him with 11 murders.
A large amount of physical evidence and DNA comparisons show that Zhang Yongming from Nanmen village, Jinning county, killed the 11 males, the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement.
Unofficial reports said Zhang may have committed 17 murders and he targeted mostly young men.
The murders came to light while one case of murder was being investigated. Some local police officials were reported to have been suspended for dereliction of duty.
Following a 20-day-plus investigation launched by the ministry and local police authorities, the 56-year-old suspect was arrested on charges of murder, the statement said.
Zhang was sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve for murder in 1979. He was freed and returned home in 1997 after receiving a number of sentence reductions, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The investigation shows that the alleged serial killer started to attack males who walked alone on the quiet road near his home where he lived alone since 2008.
The statement did not reveal the range of the victims` ages, but said local police authorities have contacted the victims` families.
After the murders, Zhang used various means, including dismemberment, burning and burial, to destroy the evidence, it said.
The Ministry of Public Security directed local officials to punish any police officers found to be guilty of dereliction of duty.
As the murders created panic, a central team of expert investigators was sent to the province to carry out investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad