China sets up "Online Blue Army"
Beijing: Chinese military has set up
"Online Blue Army", a dedicated web network aimed to beef up
internet security of its defence installations from cyber
The "Online Blue Army" is based on the People`s
Liberation Army, (PLA) needs and enforcing the ability of
Internet security protection is an important issue in its
military training programs, Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman
Geng Yansheng said.
Geng`s comments came in response to questions if the
"Online Blue Army" is China`s Internet squad aimed at carrying
out attacks on other countries` Internet systems, state run
Peoples Daily reported. Geng said his country will not carry
out cyber wars.
The PLA Daily had reported PLA`s Guangzhou command
had invested tens of millions of yuan in building the
specialized Internet squad.
Geng said Internet security has become an
international concern which affects not only the society but
the military sector, adding that China, armed with
comparatively lax online security protection is among the
victims of Internet attacks.
The Daily said internationally, online military units
have long been established. The United States destroyed Iraq`s
air defence system using PC viruses during the Gulf War in
1991. Thereafter, the online army of the United States also
played major roles in the wars in Kosovo and Iraq.
In addition to the United States, UK, Russia, Japan
and India have established their online military units,
Peoples Daily report said.
Li Li, a military expert at the National Defence
University, said that compared with online military units of
Western countries, China`s "Online Blue Army" is currently at
its fledging period, and is more like an online manoeuvre mode
than an organic, large-scale online army.
Zhang Shaozhong, a military expert and a professor
from the PLA National Defence University, pointed out that
though China`s dependence on the Internet is increasing, the
root servers are not based in China.
In addition, various types of Internet hardware in
China are made in the United States, including many types of
In this sense, China is only a computer "user," and
China`s Internet security is very fragile, he said.
"Just like the army and air forces, the `online blue
army` is a historical necessity. The reason is very simple.=
"We must adapt to the new types of warfare in the
information era. The `online blue army` is of great strategic
significance to China`s economic development and social
stability," Teng Jianqun, a research fellow at the China
Institute of International Studies, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM