China sets up "Online Blue Army"
Beijing: Chinese military has set up
"Online Blue Army", a dedicated web network aimed to beef up
internet security of its defence installations from cyber
The "Online Blue Army" is based on the People`s
Liberation Army, (PLA) needs and enforcing the ability of
Internet security protection is an important issue in its
military training programs, Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman
Geng Yansheng said.
Geng`s comments came in response to questions if the
"Online Blue Army" is China`s Internet squad aimed at carrying
out attacks on other countries` Internet systems, state run
Peoples Daily reported. Geng said his country will not carry
out cyber wars.
The PLA Daily had reported PLA`s Guangzhou command
had invested tens of millions of yuan in building the
specialized Internet squad.
Geng said Internet security has become an
international concern which affects not only the society but
the military sector, adding that China, armed with
comparatively lax online security protection is among the
victims of Internet attacks.
The Daily said internationally, online military units
have long been established. The United States destroyed Iraq`s
air defence system using PC viruses during the Gulf War in
1991. Thereafter, the online army of the United States also
played major roles in the wars in Kosovo and Iraq.
In addition to the United States, UK, Russia, Japan
and India have established their online military units,
Peoples Daily report said.
Li Li, a military expert at the National Defence
University, said that compared with online military units of
Western countries, China`s "Online Blue Army" is currently at
its fledging period, and is more like an online manoeuvre mode
than an organic, large-scale online army.
Zhang Shaozhong, a military expert and a professor
from the PLA National Defence University, pointed out that
though China`s dependence on the Internet is increasing, the
root servers are not based in China.
In addition, various types of Internet hardware in
China are made in the United States, including many types of
In this sense, China is only a computer "user," and
China`s Internet security is very fragile, he said.
"Just like the army and air forces, the `online blue
army` is a historical necessity. The reason is very simple.=
"We must adapt to the new types of warfare in the
information era. The `online blue army` is of great strategic
significance to China`s economic development and social
stability," Teng Jianqun, a research fellow at the China
Institute of International Studies, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’