China ship sails to Atlantic and back, via Arctic
Beijing: A Chinese icebreaker docked on Thursday at Shanghai after becoming the first Chinese vessel to cross the Arctic Ocean, a landmark trip that is part of Beijing`s efforts to expand its presence in the Arctic.
With melting icecaps accelerating the opening of new shipping routes and the exploration of oil, gas and mineral deposits in the Arctic, China has been eager to gain a foothold in the region.
The icebreaker Snow Dragon returned to Shanghai after wrapping up a three-month mission that took it from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic via the Arctic, the Shanghai-based Polar Research Institute of China said in a statement.
The vessel`s 119 crew members completed an oceanic survey in waters around Iceland with their Icelandic counterparts.
Though it has no territorial claims in the Arctic, China has been lobbying for permanent observer status on the eight-member Arctic Council in a bid to gain influence.
During summer months when they are passable, Arctic shipping routes between China and Europe are 40 per cent faster than traveling through the Indian Ocean, the Suez Canal and the Mediterranean Sea.
The institute`s statement said Snow Dragon gained "first-hand information about navigation in Arctic sea lanes as well as the oceanic environment, and carried out useful exploration and practice for our nation`s ships that use Arctic passages in the future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued