China slams new Asian slant in US defence strategy
Beijing: China on Monday slammed the United
States` new Asian-focused defence strategy, saying its
accusations of a lack of openness in Beijing`s military policy
were "groundless and untrustworthy."
The strategy unveiled Thursday shifts the US military
focus away from Iraq and Afghanistan and makes a renewed
commitment to assert America`s position in the Asia-Pacific
The document says the growth of China`s military power
must be accompanied by greater clarity in its strategic
intentions to avoid causing friction in the region.
In response, China said it was committed to peaceful
development and a "defensive" policy.
"China`s strategic intent is clear, open and
transparent," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin told
reporters at a regular briefing.
"Our national defence modernisation serves the objective
requirements of national security and development and also
plays an active role in maintaining regional peace and
stability. It will not pose any threat to any country," Liu
"The charges against China in this document are
groundless and untrustworthy."
He added that maintaining peace, stability and prosperity
in the region serve the common interests of all Asia-Pacific
countries "and we hope the US will play a more constructive
role to this end."
US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said the US is not
anticipating military conflict in Asia, but that it became so
bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan after the September 11,
2001, attacks that it missed chances to improve its strategic
Panetta said the Asia-Pacific region is growing in
importance for the US economy and national security, so the
nation needed to maintain "our military`s technological edge
and freedom of action."
The new strategy also identified India as a long-term
strategic partner that can serve as a regional economic anchor
and provider of security in the Indian Ocean region.
It said the US will try to maintain peace on the Korean
peninsula by working with allies and others in Asia to defend
against North Korean provocations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?