China sounds alert as flood toll mounts to 555
China has sounded a nation-wide alert as the toll in heavy rains and floods touched 555, an official report said on Wednesday.
Vice Minister of Land and Resources, Sun Wensheng urged concerned departments and local officials to be on the alert and adopt effective measures to prevent flooding, China daily reported.
Sun said heavy rains had caused massive landslides in several parts of the country leading to high death toll. In northwest China's Shaanxi province alone, 212 people have been killed so far, many due to landslides.
Usually, China's southern areas expect floods from as early as April and by late July, almost all provinces are lashed by rain which lasts till September end.
Report: Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest