China sounds alert as flood toll mounts to 555
China has sounded a nation-wide alert as the toll in heavy rains and floods touched 555, an official report said on Wednesday.
Vice Minister of Land and Resources, Sun Wensheng urged concerned departments and local officials to be on the alert and adopt effective measures to prevent flooding, China daily reported.
Sun said heavy rains had caused massive landslides in several parts of the country leading to high death toll. In northwest China's Shaanxi province alone, 212 people have been killed so far, many due to landslides.
Usually, China's southern areas expect floods from as early as April and by late July, almost all provinces are lashed by rain which lasts till September end.
Report: Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband